Sign In above to begin adding replies.

making curved track panels

vulcanworks

Topics: 11

Replies: 15

Posted: Sat 21st Oct 2017, 11:57am
making curved track panels

Hi,
I was just wondering how people produce their curved track panels, and if you have any hints or tips ?

I've had some success using a rail bender with aluminium rail and have produced an excel spreadsheet which calculates outside and inside rail lengths for a particular radius and degree of curve, and then calculates other measurements which I duplicate on a piece of scrap wood so I know when I've bent the rail to the correct radius. I obviously have the problem of 6-8 cm of flat spot at either end, but it produces pretty accurate results. I can get a 20ft radius 22.5 degree curved panel from 2.5m lengths of rail.

Replies To This Post

Xz

Topics: 17

Replies: 244

Posted: Sat 21st Oct 2017, 3:30pm

If the straight ends offend your sensibilities then you should roll a longer length and cut them off. I haven't found it necessary to be deadly accurate with curves, close enough being good enough. They will always move about with hot and cold and general use anyway. At 20ft Rad I would suggest gauge-widening would be good idea.

vulcanworks

Topics: 11

Replies: 15

Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 1:40pm

Thanks for the reply. I've considered gauge widening and connected with that, as with 5" gauge, do I need to be concerned with the outside and inside rails being different radii or at this scale does it not matter as well. Just wondering if I'm making more work for myself than I need to.

Mick

Topics: 7

Replies: 114

Posted: Tue 7th Nov 2017, 7:51am

Steel rails do not roll the same despite being put through rolls kept at the same radius. I put this down to the rails at the rolling mill cooling down: as they do so from red hot to air temperature the outer ones cool faster than those inside the bundle and this leads to a variation in hardness. So you can put one rail through the rolls, having set the radius and it barely affects the rail, the next one could end up like a banana! Aluminium does not suffer from the same effect. In any case final tweaking can be done manually. At Abbeydale we make up our dual gauge rolled steel curved panels with the common rail fastened tight to the sleepers and the other two rails left slightly loose until the panel is in place on the ballast then adjust manually and tighten the screws down.

« Back to Track, Signals and Infrastructure Topics

Web design by Slingshot